Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Day & A Soup Kinda Day!

2013!

See ya 2012! It is a New Year and I am so excited to see what lies ahead! For those of you that don't know this about me, I am a PLANNER and don't be shocked when I tell you that I have planned so many things for the year already. Some are actual things that I plan to do with family and friends, some things are for work, and then there are the DREAMS...yes, I am a dreamer. More about my dreams for 2013 later...today is about my plan to blog more regularly and post recipes to share with you and hopefully encourage you to try cooking in a different and healthier way. I hope I can be a resource and encouragement to you!
Today was the perfect day for soup and it's a good thing because I had a recipe that I had been creating in my mind and I needed to give it a try....IT WAS SO YUMMY! It went great with the Herb Bread from Multiply Delicious (this time I used fresh basil instead of rosemary).

Oh and Happy New Year to all of you! Thanks for being a part of my life!


Italian Meatball Soup
Soup
3 T fat (bacon fat or ghee would be best)
1 onion-cut in half and thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic-minced 
2 cans plum tomatoes
2 cartons chicken broth (Imagine brand has no sugar)
2 sweet potatoes-cubed
1 cup baby carrots-halved
1/4 fresh basil-chopped
1 t dried oregano
1 t Italian spices
8 oz fresh spinach
salt & pepper to taste
meatballs (see recipe below)
 Heat fat at medium heat. Add sliced onions and garlic and saute until slightly golden. Add tomatoes and simmer for 20 minutes-breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon. Add broth, spices, sweet potatoes, carrots & meatballs-partially cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add spinach just before serving.
Meatballs
2 lbs ground beef (lean)
3 eggs
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 teaspoon of each
      oregano
      sweet basil
      Italian spices
      salt
      pepper
      garlic powder

Combine all ingredients and using hands mix. Form balls with meat mixture-size is up to you (I prefer larger meatballs) and drop in soup.


No comments:

Post a Comment