Friday, January 25, 2013

Keeping it simple because sometimes life isn't!


You will notice that most of the recipes I post and make are actually relatively simple. Why? Several reasons-I am busy...I am busy...oh, I am busy! And trust me when I say this-I love my life and I feel totally blessed. I have a family that I love and adore, a job that is busy and teaching me things all the time, friends that I treasure and love spending time with, activities and hobbies that include church, working out at Crossfit, wedding planning...like I said I am busy.

So it is important that my recipes are simple but FULL of flavor and an added bonus is when they can morph into several different meals without being the "same" thing.

Today was a normal day-San Diego in the morning for our monthly C21 Award leader/department meeting, back to get Halle from school and get her to dance, stopped by a ribbon cutting for a fun new store in Downtown Fullerton called Kismet to encourage a gal I know from Crossfit, took Zach to an appointment, then home to make dinner for the family. Now considering that I walked in the door at 6:15 PM, I needed something that we could be eating by 7 or soon thereafter, so I did a variation on what my Mom used to make for us on busy days we called it "Quick Spaghetti" (different then Spaghetti and Meatballs) and made it Whole30 and made it SIMPLE!

Tonight I had the meat sauce over fresh spinach and spaghetti squash, Zach had it over a baked yam and tomorrow morning it will be consumed with eggs I am certain in some way shape or form. And maybe there will be enough left to bake in a portabello mushroom for lunch.

Heather's Quick Spaghetti Sauce

2 lbs ground beef (lean)
2 T coconut oil
1/2 onion-chopped
1/2 yellow pepper-chopped
1/2 orange pepper-chopped
1 T Italian Seasoning
1 t salt
1/2 t garlic powder 1 t ground pepper
1 large can crushed tomatoes
Red pepper flakes (you can put these on after for those that like the added "kick")

Heat coconut oil in saute pan on medium heat. Add chopped onions and peppers and saute until tender. Add ground beef and seasoning, salt & pepper. Break up meat with back of spoon & cook on medium high heat until meat is done. Add can of crushed tomatoes and simmer 10-15 minutes. Serve as you like it.

1 comment:

  1. yummy! i especially like the idea of spooning it over a portabella! bob has issues with tomatoes, though; heartburn every.single.time. makes this something i don't serve very often. can't even do pizza for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete