Friday, January 4, 2013

Makin' It Paleo!

I can't believe it has been almost a year since I completely changed the way I eat and the way I cook. January 2012, Canyon Crossfit introduced me to Whole30 when I signed up for a Performance Nutrition Experience. To say that it was life changing stills seems like an understatement because I am still CHANGING and still LEARNING!

I won't bore you with my story again (it's all in the blog) but I will say that as time goes on I am feeling more comfortable and confident that this will be the way I eat the rest of my life. I love how I feel, I love how good the food tastes and I am continuing to have a blast trying recipes and creating ones myself. So, here is the latest...

After taking my 11 year old daughter and her friend horseback riding we went to a great spot near the Orange Circle called Bruxies for a late lunch. This is the first time I have been back since I went paleo and felt confident I could find something to eat and not miss the trademark that makes them special-a waffle as the bread. Well, I did find something but I did miss the trademark so I left knowing that was my challenge for tonight's dinner-MAKE A SAVORY PALEO WAFFLE! Thank goodness for other paleo people that have gone before me because I resourced several websites to get an idea where to start! And here is what I ended up with....absolute YUM! But I must give you one warning-the recipe below is spicy so if you are not good with too spicy, cut the hot stuff in half but don't change anything else. =)

Savory & Spicy Waffle Burgers

Hamburger Patties

2 lbs lean ground beef
1 lb ground pork
2 T raw honey
2 T hot sauce (I used Tabasco)
1 t cumin
1 t organic cayenne pepper
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1/2 t Italian herbs
Salt & Pepper
1/4 t garlic powder

Mix well with hands and form into patties. I was able to get 7 GOOD sized patties-you could easily get 8 if necessary. If you don't like things too spicy cut the cayenne, red pepper flakes & Tabasco in half. Grill. I like mine medium rare. The mix of sweet and spicy in the patty is so YUM!

Waffles

6 large eggs
1/4 c canned coconut milk
1/3 c coconut flour (don't pack it in just scoop and lightly brush of excess with knife)
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 T raw honey
1/4 t chili powder

Beat eggs until well blended. Add other ingredients and mix with electric mixer making sure there are no lumps. Pour into prepared waffle maker. I used a little more than 1/2 cup for each waffle and made 3 full Belgium waffles. I set my iron to medium high heat.

Garnish

Saute 1/2 onion in ghee until light brown, add carton sliced mushrooms, salt & pepper to taste. I also added 1/2 t fish sauce but if you don't have it no worries-it just adds a nice flavor and BTW it is not a fishy taste. :) Top the burger with onion/mushroom mix and 1/2 an avocado sliced.

ENJOY!! And please let me know what you think after you try it!

2 comments:

  1. did you get these crispy? i made a paleomg recipe that used coconut flour and it didn't crisp. otherwise, i'm in with this recipe! thanks for sharing--another one for the wall. may make all "Heath originals" next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaaah thanks Jenn! Not crispy, still need to work on that bc I want crispy too.

      Delete