Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Being in the kitchen and being a cheerleader...

I can't get over how much I am enjoying cooking AGAIN!

I absolutely LOVE it...I love researching the recipes, I love all the different flavors, I love how it looks on the plate and I LOVE knowing that it is clean and healthy. Sure, it takes more time and effort especially right now because I am "learning" the products and brands that we should eat but that gets easier every trip to Trader Joe's and Sprouts. 

I feel like I have found a part of me that had been misplaced! I have always enjoyed cooking BUT my cooking has become less creative and more focused on ease as well as pleasing the kids. This meant that I would cook the same 5 or 6 "go-to meals." Since the 60 Day PNE began, I have only made 3 or 4 recipes twice. Most of the recipes have been wonderful, the only reason I haven't duplicated that much is because I am enjoying the variety.This is similar to when I was first married and working at Williams-Sonoma...I loved having my own kitchen and found so much joy in making a meal. Those feelings are back! YAY!

I understand that this won't necessarily be the same feeling that everyone has...in fact, the cooking alone may be the single largest frustration for someone that would cause them to give-up on "clean eating" and nutrition. Another that is related, could be the assumption that it is too expensive to cook this way.
One encouragement...DON'T GIVE UP!

Why, you ask? Give it some time and if you are short on resources, ask! I would be more than happy to share the info that I have found. Did you know that there are literally 100's of websites/blog sites that are filled with recipes? There are! Did you know that many of them are written by college students or young adults that are on a limited budget? There are! Did you know that several of the sites are written by women that are Mom's, work either full or part time and have lives therefore don't want to spend ALL day in the kitchen? THERE ARE! And for the men that may be reading this, (I can't imagine there are more than 5 of you-haha) there are some sites written by men with recipes that will meet your masculine cooking needs as well. HA!

My favorite site, so far is www.paleOMG.com! Juli Bauer is hilarious (OK, she cusses like a sailor) and shares not only great recipes but shares her own struggles with food addictions, reactions and how this all fits into the real world. Let's face it...as with most anything, there is no ALWAYS & NEVER...life happens and let's make the most of it when we can. Her "Simple Blueberry Muffins" are SIMPLY YUMMY!Another site that has proven to be good is www.everydaypaleo.com. And just today, I found one called www.multiplydelicious.com (warning on this one, not ALL the recipes are paleo). Oh, and one more that I have tried and liked is www.theclothesmakethegirl.com.

Once again, my encouragement is DON'T GIVE UP! If you give it 60 days like I did, you may even surprise yourself...I know I did! And remember I am here to be a cheerleader for you if you want one. =) The way I see it, I wasn't a cheerleader in high school and always wanted to be one...now is my chance to cheer! And honestly, cheering for a high school football game would have been a BLAST but cheering for people to make a difference in their lives that would be AMAZING!

Night friends!







No comments:

Post a Comment